Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Maybe this has been covered, but what is this huge red-thing in the middle of the rear grille? It looks like a giant on/off switch.
Yep: Third brake light. I was convinced Porsche wouldn't retain it when it was seen on 992 test mules in the wild a few months ago. It just didn't make sense stylistically and functionally. IIRC 991s (and most other current Porsches) have it inside the top of the rear window glass, which is fundamentally an interior bit, so I thought the ones on the mules were temporary to meet public lighting laws while the 992 interior was finalized.

I was wrong. I've got to think there was a practical reason that Porsche eliminated the previous TBL design that we're not informed about, because that thing pretty much ruins the car's posterior for me.

It's almost as bad as the 'alien eye' add-on TBC that were OEM on some late air-cooled 911s and the 964, like this one:

What I want to know is how the 992 TBC is visible when the rear wing is deployed?
The 1995 993 had a similar, stupid "bucket handle" CHMSL too. Maybe they're just going full retro and will move it back inside next year.
[IMG]https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1gatehouse.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0