04-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #33
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca101 View Post
LOL to all the "you got what you deserved" moral police out there.
Even if its "his job" we can still bitch about it no? His job is to enforce a dumb law put in place to fill the state's pockets.
The speed limit should be at least 90 on the freeway in the first place, end of discussion.
Hey, I agree with you. You'd think you could get some sympathy from people about picking up an unexpected speeding fine on a BMW forum of all prices.

65mph speed limits haven't changed since the 70's, and cars have become MUCH more capable since then. Most cars on the road more capable of stopping, steering and accelerating at 100mph than a Ford Pinto could at 60.

That said, you should go drive some modern entry-level shitbox hatchbacks. They're built to spend most of their life at 40mph and you're downright dangerous and floaty at 70mph. We're incredibly spoiled with our German cars. ... and there wasn't anybody texting and driving on the road in the 70's.

I think speed limits on highways should be abolished. Especially highways with low traffic. In Australia, the accident rates on our Northern Territory roads are consistently lower with no speed limit than when they're limited to 65. (That said, there's a population density of one person per two square miles in the NT).

I think recreational drugs should be legal too, and copyright and drug patents are an artificial monopoly that stifles innovation which solely benefits the US economy and should be ignored in countries like Australia so we can buy our medications for 30c from India, not $1000 from the USA, and use Microsoft Office for free.

But if I decide I'm going to follow these ideals despite the law - eg. pirate software, import drugs from India, grow Marijuana and travel at 100mph on highways - I risk feeling the full weight of the law if I get caught.

What I'm saying is - if the law sucks, lobby to get it changed. If you choose to break the law, accept the risk of the consequences.

I feel for OP, I really do. It sucks balls, especially when you were singled out because of your nice car, and I too believe police DO interpret the law and use their own judgement when enforcing it (rather than just being a blind instrument of the state).

But I think this thread has been a little less sympathetic than usual, because: I expect most people on this forum would agree with me when I say that I think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
I still can't fathom how or why or what

Let us all hope and pray he comes home to a cheating wife tonight. And that's a lenient prayer of what should happen to him
Is going a bit far.
Appreciate 2
minn1914018.00