View Single Post
      04-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #136
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
I get it - you prefer Porsches and I would agree that the F8X cars from factory could / should sound better, but it's an easy fix.

However, the S55 engine is better than the Macan's or the 997.
More responsive, more power and revs higher.

You can't say that the F8X doesn't rev - it's got a higher redline than the Macan or the 997.
M4: 7,800 vs 997: 7,500 vs Macan: 6,800.

So when you say "The old Ms had engines that were great when they were high revving but in the turbo world, they don’t do it for me."
Did you even get it out of Efficiency mode?

The real point is that many Porsche fanatics have been disappointed with the 991 and some with the 992.
I know of a couple in my home town that have cancelled their orders on new 992's and are looking for 997 GT3's.

The 992 looks great, but it's no longer true to the 911's of old.
I never drove in anything but Sport plus but genuinely never put a smile on my face whereas my Porsches leave my grinning.
The s55 is mediocre at best. It pales in comparison to the turbo 911 engines or something like the MB M177. Redline also means very little given the s55 loses steam after 5500 rpm where the 911s pull hard to redline. It sounds awful (I had MPE and made the bad sound louder) and just isn’t fun to drive - too spikey and suspension was 3rd rate at best along with the overall quality and it was either numb steering or overly weighted fake feeling steering.
My Macan GTS is just a nicer car, sounds better, is as responsive. I don’t need it to be the fastest car but it just is a nicer car to drive and be in. And the 911 and 718 are obviously just all around better cars in any regard to performance and handling.
The 991 was Porsche pushing the 911 to GT which I’ve been saying for a while. I have not been disappointed in their cars and given sales anyone who can afford one hasn’t either. Journalists praise it to no end, even most so when it’s a GT but no one else builds anywhere near as cohesive and well put together, near perfect package at they do...in any of their cars.

The 992 which is only the entry level is putting down supercar numbers with still relatively low HP ratings. Running 7:25 on the Ring with 444 hp is something no other manufacturer could pull off. And to think what the GTS, Turbo, Turbo S and GT cars will do. Porsche is at the top of the game and have been for a while. The 992 is still as close to roots as you get given the ever changing environment and need to evolve.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 04-26-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0