View Single Post
      03-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #55
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Training 6 days a week is too much if you want to get really strong, gain weight, and hit PRs regurlarly (naturally). Too much training means you're in a catabolic state too often. Muscles, joints, tendons, CNS system, need rest also.

Try training 3-4 times per week, but increase the intensity to a higher level for 1-2 of those sessions. Think quality over quantity. It will help to have training partners that can help push you too.

I had some of my best gains in strongman (main goal is to get stronger, right?) training just 3 times per week. Deadlift day (Coan Phillipi or magnuson ortmayer routines), Press day, and an event day. Event day was usually a crew of 3-5 guys (or girl). We'd push each other to hit PRs in a friendly competitive environment. Leading up to a competition, my last heavy deadlift or yoke day would usually be 3 weeks prior to the show. It takes that long for your CNS to recover sometimes and be primed for a PR. I always hit PRs in competitions and usually exceeded my gym lifts.

This is just food for thought. Youre obviously not going to be competing in strongman, but you can take some of this and apply it to your workout regime on occasion. Most crossfit gyms have some strongman stuff laying around, and they all have bumper plates. I had an ectomorph body builder friend of mine just train deadlifts with me for 6 months to change things up for him. He went from barely pulling 405, to pulling 515 in that time frame. The next bb show season his stage weight was 10lbs heavier and he finally started winning shows. His traps, shoulders, and thighs looked so much more developed.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 03-20-2016 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 2