View Single Post
      03-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #65
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Have you ever driven past a school or hospital? Are you ok with who knows whom determining where they want to limit your speed? What if you don't like the decision they made? Who do you petition for a change? What power do you have to change these decisions?
You think speeding in a school area is necessary? Same goes for the decision made to not let anyone drive who is intoxicated above a level that it becomes dangerous....
You talk about that as if you have a problem with that. Is that too close to your personal situation?

I'm sure that active safety features like this eventually will be incorporated in the Euro NCap and NHTSA ratings. History learns that safety is a very strong sales argument. Not that a car has to be overly safe, but that no one buys an unsafe car, and that features that have a positive effect on Euro NCap and NHTSA ratings find themselves over time into all models.
We've seen it recently with active headrests (or at least, the testing of the seats itself), auto braking systems on luxury models etc.
Both features btw that volvo pioneered; whenever the way to test the ratings changes it seems that immediately existing volvo's jump out in these tests and that most other manufacturers have to implement an adaptive strategy.

So my prediction is that in the end the consumer market itself will choose for such safety features (like testing intoxicity and speed control in zones where its of upmost importance), making them find their way in all the cars over time except for maybe the very budget models.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1