12-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #33
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I'm a millennial, and I find this to be the case with all new cars, not just BMW. They all look like ugly spaceships. I started driving in 2006, and I remember in the early 2000s being excited about new cars that came out. Now everything looks the same, or just hideous. Newer designs are so radical that they don't age well. I remember being able to tell what a car was at night just from the headlight or tail light design.

Many cars from the late 1990s/early 2000s still look good if kept clean. I'm probably biased being "old school" at the ripe age of 29. I prefer mechanical feeling things and cars that have personality when you drive them. I drove a family friend's 1989 Honda Civic 5 speed last year, and was surprised how fun the car was, for what was at the time a cheap econobox. It felt solid, toss-able, and connected to the road. Driving it was an experience, I didn't even need the radio. Now you hop in any CUV with a giant ass screen and put it in "auto/eco/appliance" mode and it feels like you are on an escalator in a shopping mall with a steering wheel.

This right here. I was actually thinking the same thing on the ride into work this morning. I remember thinking years ago that everyone was trying to make their cars appearance similar to BMW and even Lexus.

Now unless it's a dedicated sports car, I can't see a difference at night.....unless it's a Dodge.
Salty Dog3574.50