05-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #1170
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbahnz View Post
i'm fat again back at 20%bf, 157#s and 5'5". Didn't go to the gym for 8 months since last may and gained only 3lbs but all my muscles turned to flab
I can't believe you've done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I haven't delved too deeply into it, because i have a few bodybuilder friends whom i trust. They told me to take BCAA's and i started taking them. But they told me i should be consuming them just before and during any intense workouts that are over 30min. Mainly because during high intensity work outs, your body will metabolize the BCAAs you get from natural proteins leaving you with a deficit for recovery. I haven't noticed much of a difference with or without them. One thing i have noticed recently is that the few days that i've used coconut water when mixing my BCAAs i felt much better, fresher and more powerful during my rides than when i use straight water. Before the coconut water, i used to mix some straight up BCAAs with another brand of BCAAs which also has creatine and electrolytes. But the potassium and electrolytes in the coconut water seems to be somewhat magical. That's the biggest supplemental difference i've experienced so far. The only other things i supplement is magnesium, D3 and fish oil. I use the BCAAs with the creatine the morning after workout days and usually have a muscle milk or quest bar the following day to just a small protein boost.

I'm going to be seeing a dietician soon. The wife has already done it and is learning a lot. The one she's seeing is also a MD which makes me happier. We're not seeing her for shopping lists, or meal plans, rather for genetic preferences, blood type preferences and any nutrient deficiencies we SHOULD be supplementing. We have friends who spend $1000 a year on supplements and they have no idea whether or not they need them. Seems to make sense to pay some of that up front and find out exactly what you should be supplementing.

I'm with you on fasting, not a big fan unless you're doing a detox/cleanse of sorts. Because of that, i feel that fasting for health reasons is a valid concept. Fasting for weight loss is silly in my opinion. Unless we're talking about rolling out of bed, having a shot of espresso and hitting a 20 - 30 run. Doing that once likely has no affect on your weight loss, but doing it 2 to 3 times a week will train your body to be proficient at burning fat stores for energy when you are nutrient deficient. Not only will this help your bodies effectiveness in regards to burning fat, it will help you power through any longer exercise sessions when you can't consume and process enough food energy to keep up with your burn because your body will be accustomed to turning to fat stores for energy. Clearly, not as important with weight training, but with cardio and endurance training, its valuable training aid.
Yeah, that's a decent stack of the essentials, and covers the critical areas, in my opinion. Everything else is literally, just that: supplementary. I take whey protein because before, I didn't realize just how badly my diet was lacking in it. It was actually pretty bad, 2-3 years ago LOL. Along with the other isolate compounds in it combined with the extreme stress my body undergoes on a regular basis, I feel as though what I take literally fits my conditioning style; pre/post, protein, multivitamin for epic neon pee, and fish oil & D3. That's a good call on the dietician. Just pass whatever gems you find out about this way, pls.

And dude! Fasting for weight loss is so crazy LOL.

Everyone listen to Mr Tonka. Dude is the cardio master. Literally.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0