05-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #1172
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
...Unless we're talking about rolling out of bed, having a shot of espresso and hitting a 20 - 30 run. Doing that once likely has no affect on your weight loss, but doing it 2 to 3 times a week will train your body to be proficient at burning fat stores for energy when you are nutrient deficient. Not only will this help your bodies effectiveness in regards to burning fat, it will help you power through any longer exercise sessions when you can't consume and process enough food energy to keep up with your burn because your body will be accustomed to turning to fat stores for energy. Clearly, not as important with weight training, but with cardio and endurance training, its valuable training aid.
I completely agree with this... I get up in the morning and train fasted when I'm trying to get lean and I find it really makes a difference. I do it whether working with weights or cardio. I'll have a pre-workout and some BCAA or something with no calories (so I don't break my fast). I then workout and shower. Then I have my first meal of the day (or shake). Really helped me get to single digit body fat quickly. I also find that when I stop doing this, I have a TON of energy in my workouts.

Having said that, this is the only time I do anything fasted. Once I'm lean enough, I stop training fasted in the morning.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2