View Single Post
      11-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #15
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
I believe taking summer tires in snow will damage them, no?
It depends on the tires. For most DOT approved passenger tires (even very high performance summer tires) this is not the case. They will certainly not be very effective in the colder temps, but it also shouldn't damage them (unless you hit something). They just won't work worth a crap.

On the other hand, in my track car (M4), I have Hoosier R7 race slicks. Those tires are NEVER supposed to experience temps below 40F. Not just "never be driven" below 40F, but never EXPERIENCE temps below 40F (not even in storage). The only DOT approved tires I'm aware of which have temp limits would be the Sport Cup 2's (not to be used below 32F), but again, I think its a performance issue (not a damage issue).

Most of the temp limits on DOT approved tires are based on performance. However, merely exposing some race tires to extreme temps will permanently modify the characteristics of the rubber compound (same principle as "heat cycling"). It generally takes one "heat cycle" (event) to bring race rubber up to its best performance level. However, after multiple additional events, these tires will also "heat cycle out" so that the effectiveness of the tires is permanently and significantly diminished. Some race tires will heat cycle out after only 15-20 "events" and are effectively "done" .
Appreciate 1
Epirali198.00