View Single Post
      11-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #46
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

To do xenons well, is not a trivial thing. They need a more precise reflector and often an automatic leveler. IOW, it more than just the cost of a different bulb and power supply. You get a lot more light for less input power, so it makes sense when you are trying to squeeze every bit out for corporate fuel economy (along with LED lights elsewhere in the car). And, on an electric vehicle like the I-series, every watt not used in lighting means more range, so it's important for other reasons as well.

I will say that it would be a discriminator between vehicles when making my decision. I have yet to drive a vehicle with LED headlamps (or lasers), so I can't comment on them verses other technologies, but the long service life and lower power appeal to me from a techie viewpoint. Over the last 15-years or so, and three different vehicles, I've not needed to change a bulb on the headlights, but every other car I've owned prior to those with xenons required at least one bulb to be replaced in my ownership. So, in addition to the whiter light which is easier on the eyes, the better light distribution (you can get this from halogens, but you often do not), and the longer bulb life...it seems both the LED, and xenons, any probably the laser are better.

From a technical viewpoint, with fiber optics and a central laser, you could use one and light every pseudo bulb in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0