03-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #57
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickgt1 View Post
So I did this a while ago. There is a forum called garage journal and you can go there to get ideas on how to blow money into garage. As far as flooring. I am a strong adviser for porcelain floor. Yes that's right. Porcelain PEI 4 or 5 tile. You can put radiant heat under it too. You can power wash floor, you can use jacks and other shit on the floor without putting any protection under it, and it will cost a fraction of the Swisstrax or similar floor. Installation is the killer, but it for life. 9 years now, not one problem with my floor.

Epoxy is hit or miss. Very expensive, and super highly variable quality based on install and prep. Again reference garage journal for more detail. But these floors fail with catastrophic consequences. Prep, timing with weather, and substrate variables can sent your $3k floor into a clusterfuck.

Swisstrax, racedeck, etc are good. But you will get shit living under your floor. Need to put a jack stand on your floor, go get a sheet of plywood 2" thick to not chop through your floor. There are other crap.

What I have found that I'm glad I did.
1.porcelain floor.
2. Outlets everywhere. I have close to 40 in my garage. Around benches, floor, ceiling, above cabinets.
3. Lights. More lights. Do more points than necessary as I ran into a few issues with not having enough.

Waste of money.
1. Copper line around perimeter of garage for air hose connect. I have a self retracting hose real. And honestly, you need an air hose anyway. Having one on a reel makes cleanup easy. This makes it no point to have air connections everywhere at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for tip about Garage Journal. Been looking for something like that.

If I weren't in Texas, porcelain tile probably would be my option because you could do radiant heat floors. But I would never use that here so my next priority was a clean look. My garage floor now would stay clean until I opened the door then instantly the wind would bring in a ton of dirt and it always looked like crap. So I personally prefer the swisstrax because the dirt would fall through the holes. Plus the other great thing about swisstrax is you can take it with you when you move.

From what I've read on rennlist and even the Garage Journal forum you mentioned, is that you can use a floor jack on swisstrax without issue. And as long as you have jack stands that don't have a sharp edge legs you're fine without using plywood with those too.

I'm going to have a total of 9 light fixtures with 4 florescent bulbs each (3 car garage so 3 fixtures per bay). If I need to add more the attic is pretty accessible.
Appreciate 0