kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
ZF 8HP is without question a better option than the DCT gearboxes.

You should feel what a tuned 8HP gearbox is like.. DCT doesn't have a chance. With the gearshift intervention limiters completely removed, it bangs harder than an SMG and shifts faster than a DCT could dream of.

The 8HP is an incredible gearbox. DCT's have a real rough time holding up in applications with greater than 700 ft/lbs in the long run, while the 8HP continues to impress.

BMW's test run with the 8HP was in the E70 X5 50i, the first E series to get it. It was impressive back then and much improved now.
I'm sure ZF8's ability to handle more torque is a dream to tuners, but I'm not looking for more power in any of my cars. ZF8 has a clear hardware limit of only being able to rev up to 7,300 rpm when oil cavitation starts to destroy the gearbox. I track my car and I want every rev possible from the engine.

I have also repeatedly stated my dissatisfaction of ZF8 isn't about the longitudinal acceleration in automatic mode, but its delayed response to manual shifts vs. DCT. It is good to know aftermarket software could resolve this issue, but then why wouldn't BMW release like that in the first place? I suspect it invokes a reliability issue that no longer justifies replacing DCT for reliability advantage.

Lastly, If the ZF8 was "so good", every supercar manufacturer would have adopted them long time ago despite packaging issues that some seem to point out. Simple fact is, it just doesn't have the traits that a keen driver appreciates.
Game7405.50