View Single Post
      10-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Change of Address Scam?

Just got a notice in the mail from USPS today. It's addressed to someone I dont know, at my current address. We bought our house from the original owner and have been here 10 years so its definitely not a past owner or resident. Apparently the USPS received a change of address request from this person, asking the USPS to forward mail FROM my current address to some new address. The USPS sends these notes to the old address and the new address in the hopes that you receive them both and confirm that "yes, this is the change I want."

Could be a mistake like a legit change of address from this guy who fat-fingered the address and accidentally entered mine, but that seems like a long shot. My guess is its some sort of scam. anyone familiar with this one? Is the goal to simply re-direct mail in the hopes that a big check or something is received? or is it more sinister like someone tries to take out a credit card using my info and want the statements sent to a different address so that I dont notice until they charge up a bunch?

My credit is frozen across all 3 bureaus though I've had it unfrozen off and on this year as we have been applying for a mortgage re-fi and a construction loan. I checked all 3 bureaus and there's no abnormal hard inquiries, no accounts I dont recognize, etc. All seems good on that front.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615333.00
antgenn319.00