03-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #148
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I wonder why Cadillac only gets 668hp out of a 6.2L V8?
BMW's much smaller 4.4L V8 puts out 617hp. For a whopping 1.8L larger engine, the CT5 should be in at least the 850hp range.

What am I missing?
Far more differences than just displacement. Cadillac has a 6.2 ohv supercharged engine and BMW's is a twin turbo overhead cam. Superchargers have some benefits of instant reaction, turbo chargers normally can hit higher peaks but tuned and sized to do this can leave you with turbo lag (pressing the accelerator and waiting for them to come on).

Also add that increase displacement isn't a linear increase in hp. There are 400 hp 2.0 liter engines but I don't think you see 800 hp 4 liter production engines.

M5 Competition will definitely win the acceleration race, partly for the hp, partly for the AWD. It also costs a huge amount more, I think likely not any more fun to drive, Cadillac is likely to come out far ahead on long term costs/hassles as the there isn't anything really special or difficult to deal with on the engine. I doubt with RWD that if the Cadillac had more hp there would be enough benefit to deal with the extra cost and hassles. The ZR1 did have 755 hp from the same displacement, much larger supercharger.