01-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Ascot Park??

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
My wife and I were planning a trip to Monaco before my daughter was born. It is still in the works but on hold till she is a bit older and can enjoy it more.

Bah! We will seriously have to have some discussions over drinks one day. I met both Haywood and JP Jr. at the 1984 Rolex 24 At Daytona. My dad was able to get us up into their pit areas so we hung out with all the techs during the race. It was pretty cool, especially as a kid (I was about 9 at the time). I have a photo somewhere of me together with them and some more of me sitting in the cars (IMSA Prototype Porsche's I believe).

My father raced Sprints and Midgets from the early 1950's to early 1970's, based out of Anaheim, CA and then St. Louis, MO. I think he raced for Offenhauser, but can't remember for sure. I know he attempted a run at the Indy 500 a few times in the mid 1950's as well. Said the speeds scared the hell out of him. He told me the story of attempting to qualify when Jerry Hoyt got the pole there in 1954 or 1955 (can't remember which year it was). He was racing against Hoyt in OKC when he crashed and died.

I still have all his old trophies.
I presume your dad raced at Ascot Park in Gardena, CA....massively fast 1/2 mile dirt track in SoCal. I used to drive up from San Diego for the Turkey Night Grand Prix....it was USAC Midgets and the driver lineup was simply incredible....Foyt, Andretti, Unser, etc....this race was held every Thanksgiving night for years. I took my wife to Ascot to see speedway bikes....on our honeymoon.
Run Silent15127.00