03-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #8
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Usually every new vehicle has a shelf life of 8 or so years, 4 years then LCI for another 4 years then followed with a complete redesign.

Their are some outliers like the F15 X5 was replaced with a completely new platform within 5 years with a model run from 2014 to 2018. So if the i3 lasted since 2013 to 2021 then technically it's had a full life cycle.

I think that's a good thing. Let the sun set and then create new and better models.

The i3 and I8 where a design concepts brought to reality and was started back near 2000 so it's been in development for a long long time.

Any more years beyond that is just a testament to itself and that it was able to run a full 8 years without much advancement.

Tesla may have been first by a year or so but bmw took a more complicated approach, to Tesla's credit they where able to put the electric car on the map and appeal to the masses. And the market is where it's at because of it and showing their is a demand for something new. Hey Apple didn't create the first MP3 player either but they made it appeal to the masses and changed the world for small electronics because of it. It's easier for a young company to cut through red tape faster than old big companies as well so they have a faster reaction speed to the world around them.

I don't think bmw has to apologize for the I brand, it served it's purpose and allowed the development of low cost mass production carbon and green tech with their factories.

To new horizons !
You are correct.
8 Years has bee the "norm".

Tesla was much earlier with the Tesla Roadster, basically an electrified Lotus Elise, must have been before 2010.

Tesla did good, I assume they took a combination of the American needs and decided to push technology as well.
Hence why we got the Tesla S in 2012/13 with 400+km range, huge touch screens and later automation.

BMW and other EU brands saw the EV's as "city cars", so range was not a priority.
The focus was to make them small and practical with a "green" image.
So you got small practical cars with 120-140km rage, futuristic looks and low tech.

Then things changed and the EV's, again much thanks to Tesla S & X, were to become an actual alternative to a regular car.
Then you got cars like the Merc EQC, Audi eTron, Polestar 2, iX3, iX and now i4.

I guess many will enjoy these cars for years to come, just because you cant buy a new one doesn't mean the car is gone
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0