03-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Am I fit/capable of a 50k run?

Hi all

I have been around the net and couldn’t really find the answer so I hope there is just a single soul who can help on Bimmerpost.

Long story short – I have always loved to challenges myself and in 2007 I was in shape for running a marathon any time but was also diagnosed with osteochondrosis in my lower spine and stopped running due to pain and switched to biking (on/off). Two years ago I felt that all my training that included core strengthening a couple of times a week was just keeping me short of pain and that my “flexiness” was so limited that it limited my daily life. So I stepped up the training massively. First with a rowing machine, then volumes of road biking and at last also running. And with the Covid-19 I stepped it up even further.

Today I have no more pain in my back on a daily basis and I have become quite fit and have therefore considered to do a 50k run. I know that my back will not enjoy a normal 50k run training program so I wondered if all my other training could help me do a one of 50k run.

My stats are age 46, 174cm, 76kg and a VO2max of about 48. I have no problems of running a half marathon within two hours and I have experienced that it is the speed that causes pain in my back so I thought slower pace = longer distance. Am om also capable of exercising more than 5 hours straight on the spinning bike with no problems (avg 161watt). In total I do between 7-10 hours of high intensity training a week (running, rowing and biking) and two 30 minute sessions of pure core strengthening.

My plan was to give it a go in about 2-3 months. I plan to set up a route that allows me to run 5-6k between depots with water/food and finish the 50k within 6 hours.

Until the day of my attempt I plan to keep up the 7-10 hours of high intensity training per week + core strength. Train to increase the VO2max to 50+ and do some slow runs of up to 3+ hours that will mimic the speed of 50k in 6 hours.

Does that sound achievable or am I way off?