03-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Many years ago I was running 80-120k a week. For more than ten years i did not run at all but did a lot of biking. I started workout that was really, really focused on my back pain about two years. When I stopped biking last fall due to the weather I started running again in October. I do currently about 20-30k a week of running next to 10-20k of rowing and 2-300k of biking + 1-2x core training.

So all in all my legs are in pretty well trained and my last half marathon was just two weeks ago with no special training and no pain at all in the days after.
Your current 1/2 marathon plus your past are good information. I strongly believe that once you have done high mileage even if you take years off, getting back to it isn't the same as someone that has never run. I think the cross training is good, I used to do triathlons and this pushed me to mix it up, now I mostly run but try to get on my road bike, stair machine and lift weights (both at gym). If I only run my back and knees hurt, if I mix it up enough I am good. I haven't run a marathon in a long time, mainly just there isn't a good reason to do this long of a run unless you just have a strong desire, prefer to try to increase pace over increasing mileage.

Based on what you have been doing I think you should move forward with the 50k and see how it goes. Worst case is you find out you have problems at runs somewhere between the 1/2 marathon and the longest training run. Better to find out you can't than to wish you gave it a try but didn't.