View Single Post
      02-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #16
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
I got my BASE new Alienware 18 (4700MQ, 2x GTX 765M in SLi, 8GB ram @ 1600mhz, 18 inch display, DVD RW, and 1TB HDD + 64GB SSD) for just above 1600 USD in Spring/Summer of 2014. It's been playing everything I've been playing like a champ (assuming the game I was running took advantage of SLi) otherwise, I may need to reduce the settings from max. You should really consider the 18. Check out their site, negotiate, or even look at what Amazon offers to get a decent deal.

The laptop is built like a tank, manages heat relatively well, and is upgradeable (sort of). On the downside, it is pretty darn massive and heavy. The screen is glossy too (but I use mine mostly in low light situations). At max fan speeds, it is loud but it is quiet (fan wise) otherwise.

If you don't like AW, go for MSI, Clevo/Sager, or Asus. Lenovo used to have this cheap and thin dual GPU (750M's) when I was cross-shopping laptops. They may have a current version of said laptop. If you just want the best bang for your buck, get the best processor and GPU (desktop 980 but for notebooks or 980M) you can get.
I'm surprised that a $1600 AW didn't come with 16GB of RAM. Anyway, I always wanted one when I was a kid
Appreciate 0