CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
This is probably a bit premature considering my wife and I will be having our first child in January 2007, but I agree that a first car shouldn't be anything too expensive or too powerful.

I didn't get my own car until my junior year of college (my wife got her first car when she graduated from med school and paid for it herself). It was a 1988 Mazda RX7 (it was 6 years old when I bought it). At the time, I thought it was a very fast car, but it only made 146hp (I did a few mods that probably bumped it up to 160-170hp). By that time I had already been driving for about 6 years and had enough experience to handle that car.

These days, people get cars with twice the power as soon as they get a license, which I definitely don't agree with. I think something along the lines of a used Honda Accord would be reasonable for a first car. My kids won't be getting a BMW until they are GRADUATING from college.
Appreciate 0