02-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I despise repeaters and most mesh implementations.

The only good mesh implementation is one which uses the 5 GHz frequency as the mesh backbone and then 2.4 GHz to serve client connections. The reason this is recommended is because of how wireless operates. I can go into a whole discussion on why this is. But the proverbial TLDR response is, with mesh wireless, each hop (access point) you have to traverse to get to the wired LAN will divide your speed in half. If everything is using the same frequency which most likely will be 5 GHz as everyone is pushing 802.11ac, your latency is going to spike up too as you add more devices. Again, the TLDR, is wireless operates as a half duplex technology and only one device can talk over the frequency/channel at any given time.

I would sooner use powerline adapters or a MoCA implementation to place an AP in any dead spots for coverage over any consumer grade mesh technology any day. But being a tech nerd I would go one step further and bust up some drywall to pull the proper cabling.
I love my house was pre-wired for cat-5e. Same as you as a techie I like me some hard wired fun.
Appreciate 0