View Single Post
      02-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

P16EA trouble code: DME, internal fault, watchdog output: malfunction

I got in my BMW i8 to go to work this morning, and the check engine light was illuminated. I started on electric, then switched to gas a mile later, and it stayed on throughout my 16 mile commute to work. The vehicle operated normally, as expected. When I got to work, I inserted my Veepeak Bluetooth OBDII dongle into the OBDII port and used the Torque Lite application to scan the codes.

P16EA trouble code: DME, internal fault, watchdog output: malfunction

I received no other warnings on the iDrive and all systems seem to appear OK. I'm going to drive it home and see if the light goes out on it's own. If not, I'll schedule a service appointment with the dealer as I'm covered under CPO warranty at this time.

I've discovered the following information about this trouble code at https://autodiagcart.com/wrd/wp-cont...-2010-2011.pdf

MEVD17.2-BN2000 0x36BB 14011
The diagnostic function monitors the internal ABE and WDA wire in the DME ECM. The fault is recognized by the self-diagnosis.

Potential problem source(s): DME defective
This fault is logged in the control module's fault memory immediately

Terminal 15
Voltage condition: Onboard electrical system
voltage between 9 V and 16V
Temperature condition: None
Time condition: None
Other conditions: none

- Only replace the DME if the fault remains present continuously or if the fault frequency is greater than 3
- ECE emissions warning lamp: off
- ECE electronic engine power reduction: on
- CC message: on
- MY11 US: US emissions warning lamp: on
- US electronic engine power reduction: on
- CC message: on

- Possible apparent symptoms: Non-starter in extreme case

- Breakdown notice: Continued driving is not possible while fault is active. When the fault is no longer present continued driving is possible with no restrictions.

- A terminal status switch must be conducted before this fault can be deleted.