Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
To be honest, everyone who I know who could afford to spend that much never in a million years would even consider it. Probably why they can afford it in the first place
Not necessarily. The people who can afford a $2,000,000 watch did not make their money slow and steady over time. These are people who made an exorbitant amount of money in a very short period of time.

Slow and steady saving with frugal expenditures and typical top 1-5% jobs will get you into the $1M-$10M range over a lifetime (usually the lower end of that range). A lot of these people tend to be extremely frugal as you suggest, but no one in this wealth bracket can afford a $2,000,000 watch, not even those worth $10M.

The people who can afford a $2,000,000 watch made a huge windfall very quickly. They need not have lived frugal lifestyles to accumulate their wealth.
Just speaking for my personal experience with self made folks running mutual funds, hospital systems, biotech geniuses etc. One guy in particular I know is worth half a billion conservative estimate and drives an old Saab. There's no general rule I'm just speaking from my personal experience with people I know, that's all.
Appreciate 0