View Single Post
      07-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #41
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
My unscientific observation is that few newly well off folks arem't "low key" about much of anything, so taken are they with their success and good fortune. Their ebullience isn't unmerited and more power to them and I wish them much continued success.

As for M.Z. the guy isn't from what anyone would call humble beginnings. Money and the indulgences it can buy aren't new to him at all. His father is a dentist and Mark went to Exeter. M.Z. comes from the land of "old money" and folks who appear as though they are (were) from "old money."

I do agree, however, that there are many understated wealthy folks in San Francisco and the surrounding area. The thing is that American culture today isn't as dressy, structured and formal as it was even some 40 years ago. As a result, most rich folks -- when they aren't engaged in some "rich folks only" extravagant activity -- are going to appear to be low key.

All the best.
Friends of mine have met him and/or worked with him before. From what everyone says, he seems like any other normal guy. You'll find him walking his dog around SF, eating in the company cafeteria and having a beer at local places.

But that is just an example. A lot of tech money people are not into materialistic things. It's really a part of the engineering background of the people. Anyone who does coding and programming knows what it's like and the attitude among computer engineers towards money. It's very low key and any display of wealth is looked down upon.

I guess contrast that with people like Larry Ellison who cruises into his office at Oracle on a yacht and spends a fortune on his toys...