View Single Post
      08-17-2023, 07:27 AM   #1
H1GhPwR
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 94Ah

i3 i-level programming with ISTA+ 4.39.20 (+SDP 4.42.40) + ENET cable

Hi all,

My i3 94Ah LCI 2018 is production date march 2018, hence it's integration level I001-18-03-5xx.

I know that there have been quite some updates over the years and just recently, there was a very new release of I001-23-07-530 within data set 4.42.32.

I got hold of ISTA+ 4.39.20 Standalone (ISTA+ App v.4.39.20.24455 & SDP v.4.39.20) which I installed yesterday.

That dataset includes I001-22-11-5xx and connected, for diagnosis purposes first only, instantly via ENET cable to my car and read out all information.

I couldn't try the programming bit yet but it recognizes my programming data in the top left corner.

In addition, I also got a separate full PSdZData 4.42.40 set. That one includes the aforementioned I001-23-07-530.

Therefore my intention is to update all my ECUs with ISTA+ 4.39.20 with SDP 4.42.40 via ENET cable.

Now the funny part is that you barely find any matching information for any such undertaking when looking online.
You always find bits and pieces but no seamless answers.

---

Therefore some important questions first:

1) Can I simply replace my 4.39.20 PSdZData folder with the fully extracted v.4.42.40_PSdZData_Full 7zip file?

When I look into the 4.42.40 7zip file, it holds exactly the same folder structure that could go into the original PSdZData folder that INSTA+ created while installation.

It sounds very easy and probable to do this but I'd like to get assurance that this will reassure coding capabilities without errors.

2) ENET cable is fully supported.

It seems that ENET became more reliable and usable over the years. Diagnostics work and people tend to say that ISTA+ can also program ECUs that way nowadays safely. Is this the case?

3) ISTA+ is said to be more foolproof for beginners (like me).

Advanced users use E-SYS, we all understood that. Nevertheless BMW dealerships use ISTA+ for such tasks; shouldn't it be common sense that this will also work flawlessly at home then as it is intended to be more "bulletproof".

Not every BMW employee is a coding expert and masters E-SYS by nature...

Furthermore, if programming fails at first attempt, you can rerun the measure and fix it in another attempt.

4) The BMW i3 doesn't seem to need a battery pack or charging supply connected to the 12V onboard battery as it has the high voltage battery anyway that can maintain voltage and support programming.

Does that statement hold truth? If I remember well the 12V battery is also very difficult to reach on the i3.

5) What procedures to maintain when daring to program?

Many people say "windows down, seat belts buckled up, doors closed".... There are so many confusing statements everywhere....Is there something like a golden rule that just "makes it work".

---

I understand that more experienced users in coding and using the BMW tools might roll their eyes now, but it would be of great interest for me to get more common knowledge on this task and understand how things play out.

I am sure many other readers think alike.

Thank you if I can get some help. I googled and searched for days but I couldn't get any profound usable results.

Last edited by H1GhPwR; 09-01-2023 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
moppity106.50