View Single Post
      11-14-2020, 02:47 AM   #30
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
I drove both cars and that the old i8 has better handling is nonsense. It has worse feedback from the road regarding steering and it understeers much more heavily in EV mode. I admit that I didn't drive it outside Germany but we also claim that we have more potholes than road (which might be an overstatement). The suspension might be a little stiffer, hard to say from memory. But I have my standard corners and the new i8 does a few km/h more before reaching the limit.
So you drove both? Did you own both?

I had two pre LCI i8’s covering a 6 year period. Now the roadster for just under a year. Hopefully I should have an educated opinion?

Maybe not.

You are absolutely right that on a smooth (European?) road in ideal conditions, the general handling of the newer car is better. More feel in the steering, less understeer.

HOWEVER, here in the UK were B roads are anything but smooth, things are different. In fact, roads are full of holes, bumps, cambers, forever changing tarmac etc... in these conditions and doing 7/10th driving, the new car is more jittery and has a tendency to bounce around.

The old car was softer and as such was able to ‘glide’ better with the road. Therefore covering distance in a more serene fashion. I am even tempted to say that it encouraged you to press on.
Appreciate 0