techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Elon thinks that vision only is.okay. I say no. I've been doing ADAS and ASIL (ISO26262) processors for a while. But he also he sells a L2 product and calls it FSD and Auto Pilot.

Redundancy would require no gaps in the data captured. Depending on what you are doing a camera could be backed up by Lidar, etc. TM3 does not have enough camera positions for them to claim redundancy in image information. They do claim redundancy in processing.

Vision only makes speed and distance calculation challenging at best. You can use multiple front facing cameras and use parallax for some calculation, but if you are doing that you might as well use radar/Lidar for absolute speed/distance capture.

GM Super Cruise is hands free on the highway. Tesla is not. That makes it simple. Cruise is ahead.

Cruise and Waymo have fully autonomous driving and permits to operate a commercial taxi service in California.
I read that camera-only system is more susceptible to bad weathers than radar ones.

Do u know if BMW's radar(e.g. ACC) is already triple redundant or not? Do u know of any link?
Camera only systems are affected by inclement weather. Tesla pushed an update for emergency vehicle recognition. This was to help recognize them in bad weather.

NHTSA opened an investigation into Tesla providing software OTA without notifying them. They said Tesla. has been doing things that affect safety and actually would constitute a recall. They are angry that Tesla didn't notify them of software changes that affect safety.

There is no need for triple redundancy. You only need to be able to fall over automatically and gracefully degrade the system. Processors are typically run in lockstep when you just have a checker. No need for a voting system (TMR - triple modular redundancy). There is typically a service.processor that monitors all the other processors and will take over when checking fails.

I'm not sure what BMW is doing for sensors.