11-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #89
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I forgot about the Z4M. You're right in a lot of what you said.

However using those same cars, that's probably the only time you could cross shop a corvette with something from BMW. A base C7 stingray. Not a C8 stingray but a C7. Because FE vs FE. A C8 is totally different in driving dynamics, feel and power delivery over a C7. And i own a C7Z. I know how much better the C8 platform is. And i only experienced the C8 stingray, as most would since the C8Z didn't hit the streets yet.

The only issue i have with something of a Z4M is that for 65k? You get a 382hp engine. Which i know is potent but with a corvette, you're ALWAYS getting a V8. There is no 4cyl option like a camaro or a mustang. With a corvette, it's V8 in every single variant. From base model to the top of the line ZR1. And it just gets more powerful and crazier as you go up in the corvette variant lineup.

I know corvettes aren't meant for most and this thread isn't to make people want/love a corvette. You either love them or you don't. But people need to understand they're popular and loved by many for a reason. It's essentially a race car for the street. Loads of power, reliability, fun factor and style.
Well the Z4M was out with the C6 really, not the C7, but they are all the same format, which 2-door 2-seat sports coupe. The mid-engine C8 is still a 2-door sports coupe and the mid-engine Cayman was always matched to the Z4 Coupe in comparison tests, so I'm not sure engine placement is relevant to the comparison of the cars; more at price points perhaps.

I think we are getting into a circle.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00