Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Correct because the ecu targets boost pressures, not horsepower…..
Ever see a turbo-boost gauge as you climb in altitude?

It does not meet the SL target boost as you climb, it loses about an inch of MP for every 1000'. It only meets that target boost pressure at SL. Do you believe you are holding constant boost pressure as you climb? The ECU doesn't "target" boost pressure like you think. The turbo has a certain volumetric efficiency and can supply max boost under certain conditions, which is SL, RPM (exhaust), etc. When you climb up in altitude, it has no choice but to try and spin faster to try and compress the less dense air...but it doesn't make more pressure past it's maximum volumetric efficiency, it makes less, still boosted and still making pressure of course. They aren't infinite power generators.
Targeting and achieving are two differing items. Factory tuning does not require maximum effort or efficiency from factory turbos. Yes, I've watched my boost gauges in my centrifugal supercharged, roots charged and turbo charged vehicles. The only ones that didn't hit SL boost levels at higher altitude were my supercharged cars.
Appreciate 0