Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Sad loss of life. Better tactics might've saved this officer's life.

The killer was so quick shooting the officer in the head, had no chance and no reason to believe he was in danger stopping him about legality of tint windows and check reg papers.
Thank goodness the nutter was terminated before killing someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
The killer was so quick shooting the officer in the head, had no chance and no reason to believe he was in danger stopping him about legality of tint windows and check reg papers.
Thank goodness the nutter was terminated before killing someone else.
The poor cop had no chance.
I wonder how many guns the perp owns?

Murf
That officer had plenty of chance. For one, the passenger side approach is more disadvantageous. I would've gotten on the PA and told the driver to move his vehicle further off the road so I could offset my vehicle and approach the driver's side. Secondly, he had to ask the guy multiple times to step outside of the vehicle and walk back to his car so he could run him (...something we never do here in Cali, but New Mexico obviously has different tactics). After asking a second time, I would've requested back-up regarding an uncooperative motorist. I could go on, but tactics failed this officer. It's really unfortunate.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
The poor cop had no chance.
I wonder how many guns the perp owns?

Murf
I'm thinking the felled officer should have quickly gone to the other side of the pick up quickly after speaking to him, standing behind it before the killer opened the door so he could see if he was packing something.
You're on the right track. The officer should've approached from the driver's side from the very beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Sad loss of life. Better tactics might've saved this officer's life.

I totally agree with you on this one. This shows you how a traffic stops can go from 0 to a 100 in a split second. Passenger approach is good on a busy highway or freeway but we are trained to always watch their hands because the Hands will kill you ( 1.Fatal Error). I would always approach with caution, observe and always remember time is on your side. I do have my handgun out especially at night. Once you make contact, always ask the driver to keep his hand on the steering wheel, if the person is a bit hesitant and fidgety as long as you see their hands, call for a back. If you feel your spider sense is tingling, work your way back to your unit and find cover and wait for your 11 10 to arrive. My academy is 26 weeks and the training/tactics we get here in SoCal from CA Post is very important.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
What a mess, the problem is when dealing with someone who is goal oriented and has the determination to kill you the advantage falls on the criminal. What a shame. I don't know anything more about this, was the suspect wanted or just completely offside over the traffic offences?
We surely can't profile but once you insatiate the TS, I have dispatch ran their plates, the RO to get intel who I am dealing with for officer safety. To be honest with you I don't do a lot of traffic stops anymore.
A lot of our peers have slowed down on traffic stops. The reasons vary however. I don't do as many as I used to, but when I do, I make sure to let my sister car know.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
M5Rick59852.50
mahalom3163.00