View Single Post
      04-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #1974
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That officer had plenty of chance. For one, the passenger side approach is more disadvantageous. I would've gotten on the PA and told the driver to move his vehicle further off the road so I could offset my vehicle and approach the passenger side. Secondly, he had to ask the guy multiple times to step outside of the vehicle and walk back to his car so he could run him (...something we never do here in Cali, but New Mexico obviously has different tactics). After asking a second time, I would've requested back-up regarding an uncooperative motorist. I could go on, but tactics failed this officer. It's really unfortunate.

You're on the right track. The officer should've approached from the driver's side from the very beginning.

Agreed!

A lot of our peers have slowed down on traffic stops. The reasons vary however. I don't do as many as I used to, but when I do, I make sure to let my sister car know.
It wasn't uncommon with us to slide by when another car put themselves out on a traffic stop or if they were our investigating anyone on the street regardless of them asking.....if nothing else we'd certainly try to be in the general area incase things went sideways.

I've never got the idea of approaching the passenger side, your angle is shit for seeing the driver and making it harder for him to see you when you approach, the offset was terrible, I agree that he could've used the PA to get the guy a bit further off the road. The thing is, it's usually a bunch of little things that create the bad situation, trying to eliminate any advantages for the bad guys and maintaining our advantage is the main thing.

I won't criticize the officer in this one and just hope that others who watch this might use this video and recognize where things can go wrong. At the end of the day you can never eliminate all the threats.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50