10-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #108
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj911 View Post
I disagree and was under the impression that 9mm is such a high velocity that it doesn't have time to create much cavitation, thus the MANY stories I've heard from people who lived and died with their weapons saying they've seen too many times multiple rounds from a 9mm not stopping an assailant whereas the same placed rounds with a .40 or better yet a .45 have more impact energy, and being slower rounds they do more damage as they go through. I carry a small easily concealed Kahr CW40 with hollow points and an extended clip (mostly because a friend won it in a raffle and had no need for it and sold it cheap). My next purchase was going to be a HK 45 but I have read great reviews of the Ruger American Pistol (probably in .45).

Edit: sorry I didn't read the whole thread first and should have known this age old argument would have already commenced.
There are many stories, but when it comes down to the science of the issue. There is little to no difference between the "stopping power" of 9mm / .40cal. even .45acp for that matter. Think about your statement.... more impact energy... on the same soft target... does what? Over penetrate. The amount of variables that go into ballistic testing AND reporting is mind boggling. When you're talking about testing with the substance most closely resembling soft tissue, the results are pretty clear.

See the link i posted a while back in this thread. MOST of the .40cal rounds tested underperformed. Note that some people think a bullet that can go through 3 people is super deadly, but over penetration is an under performing characteristic.

This isn't my opinion to disagree with, these are quantifiable facts. Feel free to disagree with my opinion that the minuscule differences between 9mm, .40cal and .45acp ballistics makes the 9mm the smart decision for a cc pistol. But the tested and measured ballistics don't lie. With more and more LE agency moving back to 9mm it's fairly obvious what their opinion is.

Someone posted about military sticking with the .45. And that's fine, but who uses pistols in the military? Infantry, no. SF and SO use pistols. Who are the average CC America's most similar to, a LEO or a SEAL? What kind of a bad guy are you, an average American, most likely to encounter? The same type as a LEO or a western way of life hating military combatant who is likely wearing some type of LBV or multiple layers of clothing? The weapon system that gives you the most options is the best one. A pistol is just part of an operator's weapon system. A pistol IS my weapon system, with that being the case... reliability, size, weight, mag capacity and operational effectiveness need to balance out more so than if my pistol was a back up weapon.

14 opinions of firearm industry experts asked to choose between 9mm and 45acp. http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/45.../#bsum-buffoni

Only one of them chose .45 and did so because his imaginary deciding scenario limited each gun to 5 rounds. Not to mention he is one of the oldest in the group. And older people tend to perpetuate what they've believed their whole lives, even if modern technology makes what they believe obsolete.
jimj911147.00
Dackelone10512.00