12-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #18
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalermchai Wongwaiwit View Post
Good news! Yesterday I got my i8 back from the garage. It's running like new again. The mechanic told me I should get a better home charger rather than the small one that came with the car. He was just guessing at the cause why the HV battery was automatically disconnected. The electricity supply in Thailand is very unstable. We just went through the rainy season and whenever there was some lightning, the electrical supply would be shut off for a few seconds and come back on again. Case in point is another i8 with some fried chips still in that garage. Probably electrical surge when the lightning struck close by?

I will also not use full electric mode in the last few hi way-miles before reaching my house. That might have caused high demand on the battery, making it too hot just before parking. I believe the HV battery is cooled using the air conditioning cooling system. Again, I am also guessing here, only to be safe.

Coming to this forum makes me understand my car better. Thanks to all who have posted some useful comments on the car.

Another side note, since this is a topic on Tesla drivetrain. The Tesla is coming to Thailand very soon, but not sure if by authorized dealer or not. Rumor has it the price will be a relative bargain of US $ 200,000. (Roughly the same as a new BMW 7 series).
Relieved to know that your i8's problem is resolved. If you're contemplating on obtaining a BMW wall mounted charger, consider getting it outfitted with higher capacity cables (US$60.00 extra) than what the specification requires. The Bosch installer, who installed my wall mounted unit, said that these cables will allow for an easy, less invasive, and cost efficient replacement/installation when the Bosch i8 higher capacity chargers are introduced.
Appreciate 0