View Single Post
      11-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I can't tell you how vehemently I disagree with this viewpoint, and here's why: What's the definition of a sports car? Simply put, it's changed to include SUVs and large sedans in the eyes of many.
You can agree or disagree, but imho an SUV is not a sportscar.
And certainly not if its an SUV based on a VAG platform.

But yeah, sportscar is not a legal defined type or brand or whatever, so it can also include a ford f150 pickup or a UPS delivery van. All according to ones personal opinion.
However whats not an opinion but a FACT is that the vast majority of the porsche cars sold today use a rebranded volkswagen or audi platform. And that is a HUGE difference with Ferrari, and that was the key point of my post. Comparing porsche as a brand to ferrari is completely silly nowadays. Maybe that will change when or if Ferrari sells out and also starts rebranding SUV's, and equip them with 4 cyl engines or diesel engines, like porsche started 15 years ago, but that's not happening right now.

And that what "the majority of new Porsche buyers today in the U.S. don't even realize".....Thats hitting the nail twice on the head: 1: porsche buyers, and 2: the US

And that you say:
Quote:
Besides, very, very little of the 911 (991, 992, whatever) -- much less the Boxster/Cayman, which everyone in this thread has conveniently forgotten about to this point -- is shared with any other VW AG product.
, which is basically a recap of my statement also underlines what the majority of their products are. The 911 and 718 are a small portion of their total sales. In just the US the macan easily outsells both 911 and 718 together (with 150% or so ). So yes, a small (or at least minor) portion of the products that porsche sells are sportscars (and only a small portion of that overlaps with the ferrari key market), and that portion acts as a style icon for the brand in order to sell their mainstream product, which are VAG platform based suv's

In that scope Ferrari is a totally different manufacturer with completely different products. Only a very small portion of the porsche products overlaps the ferrari target buyer
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-30-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0