View Single Post
      10-18-2021, 11:23 PM   #198
KithM4isBae
Private
Rep
Drives: Kith M4, V60 polestar, SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm completing my Residency and have learned that idiot posters like the one you are responding to reflect the viewpoints of a lot of American society. Doctors are sadly not respected and mistrusted.

The opportunity cost of Medicine is what has made it an increasingly hard sell. I'm in my late 20s and have a very limited investment portfolio with 6 figure debt. Not to mention so many key years of my 20s spent studying and working endlessly, and therefore so many life experiences left unfulfilled. Yet the average idiot thinks Doctors earn too much when in reality America's healthcare problems have nothing to do with Physician compensation. Insurance companies, politicians, medical schools, residency programs, nursing/PA/NP unions enrich themselves at our expense. We sacrifice so much only to be told off by posters like the above and politicians who think we don't pay our "fair share" in taxes.

Sure not a lot of professions offer a $250k-300k salary by time time you hit your late 20s, but they also don't require a minimum of 7 years training AFTER college. 4 years of that you don't earn a penny and are instead raking in eye watering debt.

I can't quite say I regret it yet, but part of my wonders where I'd be had I instead opted for tech fields like some of my friends did. I started undergrad a decade ago, was only 17 at the time, and didn't know shit. Was told all my life that Medicine is the most lucrative field and went ahead with it. Reality is with Medicine you have to be in it for the long haul. The money comes, but at what cost? And these days with how expensive everything, notably student loans and real estate have become, you need a dual income Physician or Physician-Tech/IB/VC household to really feel well off.
100%.

My wife is a doc. Was barely "getting by" until she finished residency.
Get this... nurses are leaving our ER for traveling gigs making 8K per week working 30 hrs/wk LOL. That's way more than even ER docs make. But don't hate the player. Hate the game...
Appreciate 0