View Single Post
      06-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

AC Compressor failures on the rise

I've received five messages in the past month from i8 owners who have indicated that they hear strange sounds from under the front bonnet, and after I refer them to the shop to have the problem diagnosed, I'm receiving feedback that the Air Conditioning (AC) compressors are failing. In some cases, the failure was so catastrophic that the AC compressor had an internal failure, scattering metal fragments inside the refrigerant lines. I posted this on the BMW i8 Facebook group and 8 people replied saying it happened to them, one of which said he had metal scattered throughout the refrigerant lines and it cost him $8,000 USD to have it repaired.

I'm going to reach out the genius email for BMW USA before doing a video on this to see what they say about their latest AC compressor parts. If this is going to cost $8,000 USD to repair when there is a failure, i8 values are going to tank.

Last edited by patsgarageonline; 06-30-2020 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 2