12-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #43
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I work from home with Google Fiber. It's around 500-800 mb/s over Cat7 and about 150-250mb/s over AC wireless. I send and receive large files all day. That slower wireless speed is painful when I'm not connected to the wired setup.
I work from home also but I guess I just don't deal with big enough files. My internet is around 80Mbps-100Mbps which is fine for 99% of what I do (plus it's "free" with my HOA). Only time I wish it was a bit faster is the rare occasion I have to download a 50GB game on my xbox or pc... that takes a bit longer than I would like, but that's an ISP issue not so much wireless. Considering when I was a kid it would take longer than that just to download a jpg far enough to see some nip... can't complain.

Only thing I have hardwired is my little Qnap NAS but that's like 3 feet from my computers so no issues running a cable behind the desk. Even then I rarely need to transfer big enough files to matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'll just leave this here since people are sharing their setups....

And yes, the cabling is a mess but it's my lab and I keep changing crap around.
If you have that shit in your closet then I'm guessing you most certainly need some cat7 cabling.
Appreciate 0