08-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #21
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
You need to be honest with yourself. The i8 is NOT even close to being a stellar performer from an "environmental perspective". If you want to tell yourself that to justify your purchase - that's fine - but don't try to preach that to everyone else as you will just look foolish. (I guess that's up to you though...)

The i8 only gets about 30mpg in real world use. Lots of much cheaper hybrid, diesel and even gas cars do better than that. ...and if you are going to rely on its electric range only then there are a lot more attractive options which are also less expensive (Tesla).

...I'm not dissing the i8 (I just bought one), but lets please just skip the environmental BS.
I'm not preaching to anyone, just saying what matters to me. Personally my average mpg is a whisker under 50 so far (in 6000 miles of driving), due to the types of journeys that I make, but yes, very much in the real world. I am able to charge the car at home and at work, which helps of course. Do I have to do so to save money? No of course not, I do it because I do genuinely care. I read on here that many people don't ever charge their i8's, thats clearly their prerogative, but seems simply wasteful to me.

I wanted a well built high quality sports car, so Tesla and cheaper hybrid cars were not even in the equation. So options really were R8, AMG GT, 911, V8 Vantage. Each of those would use at least twice the fuel that I use in the i8, some of them much much more, so in reality they were out of the equation too.

My decision to get the i8 was considered, and educated, not whimsical or foolish and I am very happy with it indeed. I would consider another hybrid sports car for the same reason at the right time, or even an electric one, but I'm unlikely to ever have another gas guzzler again.
Appreciate 0