vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Oh and I'm willing to bet that person you spoke to is full of shit about there not being an option for Internet only. There's always that option but they just want to upsell you on a "package" deal. They're all f'n crooks.
The phone rep had to take a current business Internet plan (with 3x the bandwidth), add my special features, and then discount it to the 1998 business plan's price to work around their system not letting him modify the ancient plan. Hardly an upsell on their end! (My account is residential, with a business-grade Internet plan.)

The back-story to the Internet plan is that I was customer #1 in our region when they rolled out their cable modem service. They used a facility that my employer owns as the site for their announcement press conference and demo, and I spent weeks training their first group of cable modem installers before they started rolling out the service. I had "test" business-grade service at home months before they went live for the public (using a cable modem that I purchased), and I was still on that grandfathered 1998 business plan at home until yesterday in their billing system. It was (and still is) a business plan, with a /24 block of public IPv4 addresses that I own and they route. They automatically bumped the speeds up over the years, so it wasn't like I was on a 2400 baud modem or something.

The rep kept trying to make me accept a free business-grade cable modem for the upgraded business plan, because my personally-owned 1998 DOCSIS 1.x modem cannot support the higher DOCSIS 3.1 speeds they now offer. Their business modems include a wifi radio, and share your connection with the public. Obviously not something that I want in my house! He reluctantly caved, and coded my personally-owned 1998 modem for the higher speeds even though he warned that it won't support them.

Did I mention that there's a reason why I am *extremely* attached to my personally-owned "1998" cable modem that they have no management access to?????