View Single Post
      08-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #43
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Question for you guys who know more than I do about the sports of boxing and MMA. Both sides are petitioning the NV athletic commission to allow them to fight in 8 ounce gloves instead of 10 ounce, which is standard for that weight class. MMA on the other hand uses 4 ounce gloves.

How is dropping from 10 to 8 seen as better or worse?

Stands to reason that with a heavier glove your punches will be slower and you will tire faster, but when you connect they will carry a larger impact.

How will stepping down from 10 to 8 help/hurt Floyd?

How will stepping up to 8 or 10 from 4 help/hurt Conor?
The lighter gloves as you stated make the punches get thrown faster (less mass to accelerate), and they also help your endurance a bit since you aren't carrying around and moving more mass for up to 12 rounds. The smaller gloves also have a smaller surface area and smaller padding. So its actually easier to sneak a punch in with smaller gloves, and when it does hit it actually translates to a HARDER impact, not less as you say above. That is because the inertia and corresponding force of the hand/glove upon impact is spread over a shorter period of time with less padding. The same concept behind a crumple zone in a car. You are spreading the impact over a larger amount of time to soften the overall force that your body experiences.

Its all physics and kinematics.

On side note: The smaller/lighter the gloves the more force will be translated into the boxers hands as well. So wearing no gloves or ones with little padding is dangerous on both sides of the coin. Easy to hurt your opponent and easy to hurt your first/wrist as well.

EDIT: I generally agree with what most have stated above. As much as I would LOVE for Mayweather to get KTFO I'm skepcial to say the least. Conor is a beast in terms of overall size and strength, but never underestimate experience... and Floyd has a lot of it. I think Floyd will try to do what he always does use his defense and smarts as much as possible. He will try to wear Conor out and start looking for some counters later or win on points... Conor will try the opposite likely and will definitely be hungry for some big shots.

Last edited by WhatsADSM; 08-10-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0