04-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #142
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Ok so decided to revive this instead of making new thread. Lets see if any of you coffee gurus can help.

Typically I just drink regular drip coffee, nothing fancy, lots of cream and sugar. I also have espresso sometimes cuban style (aka sugar with a little espresso). However I am trying to go low carb so I need to change my coffee. I will do espresso instead as I'll just have 1 cup and it's less sugar than multiple cups of drip coffee. I would like to cut out the sugar all-together but godamn that shit is bitter as fuck all.

Sooooo... any trick to making this espresso not be bitter? I have a DeLonghi Dedica and I have read sooo much shit about how to properly make it so it's not bitter. I have tried using more coffee with less liquid, less coffee with more liquid, I've tried different brands I have around the house (none of them fancy) but the shit always comes out nasty (without sugar). So is it possible to get espresso that isn't bitter?
Get fresh beans and grind them right before you pull the shot. Find a local roaster, or during these Covid times, mail-order. The Black Cat espresso beans I typically order from Intelligentsia are usually shipped the same day they roast them. Onyx Coffee Labs does good stuff too. Or Verve coffee. Or Red Bird Coffee.

Dont get supermarket beans. Chances are they've been sitting out past their prime. Espresso is so finicky that old beans won't give you a good cup of espresso.

Edit: When pulling the espresso shot, the traditional method is 2:1 ratio. This means that if you are dosing 18 grams of dry coffee, you would end with 36 grams of liquid espresso in your cup.
Appreciate 1