04-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #143
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Get fresh beans and grind them right before you pull the shot. Find a local roaster, or during these Covid times, mail-order. The Black Cat espresso beans I typically order from Intelligentsia are usually shipped the same day they roast them. Onyx Coffee Labs does good stuff too. Or Verve coffee. Or Red Bird Coffee.

Dont get supermarket beans. Chances are they've been sitting out past their prime. Espresso is so finicky that old beans won't give you a good cup of espresso.
Is there a grinder you recommend that isn't crazy expensive? I thought about grinding beans and went down an Amazon rabbit hole ultimately not buying anything because I couldn't find anything reasonable that didn't have some bad reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Edit: When pulling the espresso shot, the traditional method is 2:1 ratio. This means that if you are dosing 18 grams of dry coffee, you would end with 36 grams of liquid espresso in your cup.
See that is what I have been messing with. Couple things though, I can't get more than 14 grams of coffee in my puck. Even bought a different puck that's not pressurized or something and was suppose to be better, still 14 grams and no change in taste. I also read it should take around 25-30 sec for the entire amount of coffee to come through. I'm waaaay shorter than that, even when I push that coffee in, if I push too hard it wont come out at all.
Appreciate 0