Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Clarkson doesn't say these things because Clarkson doesn't believe these things are important to know. He believes, really and truly, that a car's gas mileage should reflect of how much it consumes when it is driven in the most fun way possible, and I'm honestly inclined to agree with him. Who gives a shit if you can baby a throttle, follow 18 wheelers, turn off all electrical and a/c and avoid hills for 800 miles between fillups. That's not a fun way to drive, even if it nets you higher MPGs.

As it stands, current MPG ratings are almost entirely pointless.
I agree in part, as far as you have open roads and can actually let loose.

Reality, however, is that most of us spend the majority of our motoring hours with imposed limits, on crowded roads, going through cities with moms and baby strollers crossing the roads.

And suddenly, mileage becomes the only meaningful thing to strive for. Because there is no point in big brabbly engines, wheel-spinning acceleration, and high-speed road holding. No fun there.

Once you do get a chance to enjoy your car, though, I'm with you. And that's the beauty of the i8. It can do both. Which other car can?
Appreciate 0