View Single Post
      09-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I don't think the OP is looking for opinions on liquid wealth. People start hitting their stride at work around then, IMO, and can stash more into things like 401k's w/ company matching (if available), can start to invest more, and possible are buying their first home around then. Liabilities are, obviously, what hurt most Americans since there is an addicition to credit, though.

I find some of these type of threads, no offense to the OP, a little subjective, though. What someone's net worth 'should' be depends on the life they lead and where they want to be, IMO.
Yes, this was my logic. Years 25-30 should be "golden years" for saving if you have strapped yourself with kids, an unreasonable mortgage, car notes, etc. You get 401k match and can stash away some serious cash before you get serious with marriage and a family.

Observing for years, I think I've realized people simply start the family/house/I want everything process WAY TOO SOON. I work in a corporate environment and the new graduates come on board and instantly buy new cars and houses. They get a steady income and instead of living below that, they live 2 or 3X that. If you just tough it out a couple years, you can really set up your life. Not just that, but many are getting married and preggo.

It's SO hard to fight out of that if you're already in a hole. Kids are constant money suckers.
Appreciate 0