12-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #27
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Are you buying amazon?

The question is if they will be facing competitors? Target and Walmart are taking some shares from online purchasing. Their bottom line could take a hit with investment in their new cargo delivery unless they can make it more efficient vs. ups/fedex.
I agree with you on this, but at the same time would note that all three are taking share from bricks and mortar. It isn’t clear to me that Target and WalMart stores are going to suffer for several years, but it is clear that Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot and many others will. Lowes and HD are badly uncompetitive with Amazon on the small stuff now so unless you need it TODAY they are only viable for plywood and other large stuff. Even that advantage will erode (I was just pricing a long extension ladder; cheaper on AMZN and they’ll deliver it - I don’t have a vehicle that can carry it myself). Also on my list of failing retailers are basically any place guys shop except maybe specialty suit shops and some auto parts stores (especially those that support independent mechanic shops).

Grocery is another very interesting category with a lot of change. More non-food items in store, pharmacy and one here has a gym. Curbside pickup and delivery (InstaCart) can potentially make the grocery store into a liquor/convenience mart with the delivery handled from a much more efficient warehouse operation.

We’ve only begun to see the changes to retail brought about by AMZN and its near competitors.
Appreciate 0