View Single Post
      04-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #28
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Most ICE cars have parts that start failing at increasing levels of expense at 40k, 60k, 100k miles,
Most of these expenses also go for electric cars. I mean, the major difference is the engine. Of course modern engines need maintenance, but if I look at the engine of my daily, a volvo diesel, it has now 150k miles on the clock, and the only things that have been done is service every 20k miles (and electric cars also need some service, they have cabin air filters too), and cambelt change at 110k miles.
And of course a brake change (also at about 100k miles)
Costs of these services are pretty low. Only once a sensor went bad. $40 it cost me (replaced it myself, relative easy job; diagnosing was also easy with volvo software. Don't know what a mechanic would charge; maybe 30min work and the sensor that will cost double of course)

Lots of other parts that break down are often suspension related.
And the heavier the car, more stress is put on suspension parts, so either more wear, or they have to be made beefier (more expensive?)
And all that torque? wear on your CV joints

And, I don't think EV's are maintenance free. Much maintenance is often due to design flaws (think tesla model S drivetrains!). Lots of problems on cars are related to electrics. The more complex a car, the more these problems occur.
I wouldn't be surpised that there will be lots of EV models in the future that are plagued by electrical faults. Temperature sensors, current measuring sensors, maybe little fans to cool certain electronics etc etc.
I think that the EV's we're seeing now are probably the best of the bunch. No brand wants their first EV model to be plagued by faults, so I think that the parts than are now put into EV's are of relative higher quality than the parts that we'll see in 10-20 years. Because then an EV is a business model that has to make money, and not a pilot that has to win customers.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0