MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Since we're talking real estate again, here's a question. My neighborhood is mostly 1 acre lots. We're in a township, so there are no setback rules or even any codes to speak of. My neighbor to the south originally bought the lot between his house and the house we bought so he wouldn't have a house right next to his. So there's an acre lot, mostly wooded, between our house and his. He died several years ago, but his wife, who is sadly suffering from Alzheimer's and is in long-term care, is still the owner. At some point, his son will probably sell the property as he lives out of state. I've considered asking him for right of first refusal on the open lot if he's willing to sell it. I don't want a house right next to us either.

So my questions is, how do you value something like that? If I buy the lot, I'd be out the cost of the purchase, plus the yearly real estate taxes (which are high here). I realize there is a intangible benefit here which is hard to quantify (privacy). But are there other considerations I'm missing? We have no plans to sell or move. We've pretty much decided to retire right here, so I'm guessing recouping the cost of the purchase and subsequent taxes will not be a consideration. There is a 1/4 acre or so of grass which abuts to our lawn, so mowing will be more extensive, but otherwise I don't see a big jump in upkeep. Like I said, it's 90% wooded. I'm very roughly guessing a purchase price in the $10k or under range. The lot is build-able (water and elec).

Thoughts?
For $10K I see zero downside. That seems incredibly inexpensive for a 1 acre buildable lot.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 1