Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Yes, while most people will just park the car, it is good that they're at least working on the autonomous problem...which is very hard... just look at Tesla. They've been working on it for years, leveraging their entire global fleet for training data and it still doesn't work.

There isn't any reason BMW or any other OEM shouldn't work on this. Further, I would hazard a guess that these auto-park areas are heavily controlled, to ensure some random customer/kid isn't in an area where something could happen. Even so, it would be great if the car could sense pedestrians and handle accordingly.... easier to do at slow speed and in a controlled environment than in some public car park.

My $0.02

Cheers!
I get your point, but at what cost and who is footing the bill?
What I mean is, these heavily controlled parking lots will cost a great deal of money, who is paying for it, hopefully not the general public through taxes. Also, let's say a private entity pays for these areas, where will they be? Does that mean that a floor in a public garage has to be converted for autonomous use only? Where a fraction of the cars on the road can take advantage of it? It just doesn't make any sense, this whole thing is solving a problem that simply doesn't exist.
It take literally seconds to park a car. If you can't do it properly, learn.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I just don't see the point in investing into unnecessary technologies when the money can be spent on making a vehicle's dynamics better, you know, like, the Ultimate Driving Machine?