09-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #17
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Jesus Christ, why would anyone do this? Just park the damn car. All of these real life variables in parking garages (kids slipping away from parents, strollers, shopping carts, mindless texting teens) and you do this? How irresponsible. What happens when the car gets into an accident and you're shopping at Nordstrom? BMW needs to stop the BS and focus on making these cars drive like BMWs should.
You seem to be forgetting how accurate parking sensors and the systems that control them are these days.

Back when the G12 7 Series first launched with Remote Control Parking on the Display Key, I was working at a BMW dealer. I demonstrated that feature countless times over several years, and almost every single one of those clients asked what happens when someone or a dog or whatever walks behind or in front of the car while you're remote controlling it into/out of the parking space.

So what did I do? I'd literally walk right behind or in front of the moving car at the last moment, and it would stop short of hitting me every single time. Without fail.

In that case, the car moves at a slow walking pace, and from this video it looks like the car is moving at maybe a fast walking pace. I'd venture to guess that in 5+ years and two generations of car tech later, it won't have any issues stopping in time for sudden appearances of people going where they shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0