10-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #24
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu View Post
Can't get behind the removal of all the climate buttons. I change the fan speed constantly, now I have to press menu and use the touchscreen to do it every time. The climate screen is a mess too, they couldn't even fit all the controls at once so you have to scroll to the right to turn on passenger seat heat, are you kidding me?

The volume knob was better placed close to your hand below the vents, but maybe could get used to it on the center console.

The iDrive knob is still there but the capacitive buttons that you have to glance down at to use are terrible. And even that isn't long for this world, going by the 2 Series AT release with no iDrive knob at all, a first for BMW in...20 years?

There's nothing you can say about the connected screens or removal of physical controls that makes the car genuinely better, it's just chasing fads. Wish they'd be an innovator in this space and focus on ergonomics like they used to.
Yup. Removing the buttons is a bad choice. I almost never change the climate control settings and yet I still am annoyed to have to go through the infotainment screen to adjust them. I used to change the face vent temp a lot in my previous cars (one of the most misunderstood and under appreciated features BMWs have had for a while) but they buried that in the infotainment now in my X5 and I am annoyed with that decision and hardly ever actually use that function anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Here's the photo I made from the iDrive 8.0 Press Release a few months. These are the two main display modes that BMW highlighted despite being both horrible and too similar. No way to get rid of the ugly trapezoidal design scheme they are using.
Although I don't like the instrument cluster in the iX (also don't like the one in my current X5 either), it wouldn't bother me too much because I hardly look at it at all. The HUD for me negates most of that mess in the dash. However, I get what they are trying to do to make it look more modern. What I don't get is why they didn't just add a "classic" display option that would essentially be old traditional looking cluster. This way BMW can have the esthetics they want and the people who want their 1980's gauges can have them too.

I would go a step further and even open it up to allowing users to upload a custom one if they wanted to. But hey, what do I know...
Appreciate 0